Education Picture

Education majors can select from two main areas, Elementary Education and Secondary Education. Elementary Education is for those that would like to teach students in elementary school or middle school.

Those that would like to teach high school would need to select the Secondary Education option and major in the teaching area. For example, if you would like to teach high school mathematics, your program of study at Co-Lin would then be Math Education.

Click on the MATT Tool for specific program information for the eight Mississippi public universities. 

Elementary Education teachers work with students from kindergarten through sixth grade across all disciplines. If you are interested in being part of a field where you have the opportunity to make a difference and work with children, and you want to engage in a service-oriented profession, we welcome you to Elementary Education.

Transfer Options: The first step toward teaching certification in Mississippi is completing the education requirements. Students will have to decide in what areas they want to specialize for their licensure. For a Class A license, candidates must have at least a 2.75 GPA in the subject area(s) for which a license endorsement is sought. Various options include:

  • K-6 Option
  • 7-8 or 7-12 endorsements available in the following areas: Math, English, Science, Social Studies, or Special Education

Transfer Opportunities: When choosing Elementary Education, it is important to determine where you would like to transfer. Each transferring institution requires specific prerequisites, so it is helpful to meet your adviser soon to decide the best destination. A few of the options are below:

  • Mississippi University for Women, which has a Partnership Pathway with Co-Lin, available completely online (MUW Program Plan*). Learn more about transfer options here.
  • The University of Southern Mississippi, Mississippi State University, and Delta State University, which offer degrees completely online as well as traditional on-ground options
  • Other institutions of higher learning, such as The University of Mississippi, Mississippi College, Alcorn State University, Jackson State University, and Mississippi Valley State University also have transfer opportunities. 

Elementary Education Requirements: In order to be accepted into a teacher education program at a senior college or university, a student must have completed ONE of the following options by the time you complete Co-Lin:

  • ACT Requirements – composite score of 21 or higher
  • Praxis Core test – Passing score in reading, writing, and mathematics
  • 3.0 GPA with 60 core hours
  • Future Teachers of America – The Future Teachers of America is an organization that is open to any full-time or part-time student interested in pursuing a career in the education field.
  • Phi Theta Kappa: PTK is the international honor society for two-year colleges, promoting scholarship, leadership, service, and fellowship among students. Membership is by invitation only. Each campus has a chapter: Wesson Campus – Eta Omega, Natchez Campus – Alpha Alpha Zeta, and Simpson County Campus – Beta Xi Psi.
  • Student Government Association: SGA serves as the legislative body for all students. Officers are elected to their positions. Organizations are on all three Co-Lin campuses.
  • Trailblazers: Trailblazers are the hospitality and recruiting group that takes part in many activities at Co-Lin. Students become Trailblazers through an application process. Organizations are on all three Co-Lin campuses.