Financial Aid Forms & Appeal Process

Financial Aid Forms & Appeal Process Picture


The Co-Lin Financial Aid Office is using CampusLogic to complete all Financial Aid tasks online. CampusLogic provides cloud-based software that improves the financial aid process for students, parents, and financial aid staff. Mobile FinAid makes the process easier by:

  1. Completing FAFSA verification directly from your phone, tablet, or computer
  2. Securely uploading documents from any device
  3. E-signing documents (both students and parents)
  4. Students receiving automated reminders about outstanding tasks via email and text (if you opt-in)
  5. Online award letters will be available

Financial Aid Documents

Appeals and Reevaluations:

Professional Judgement (PJ) or Dependency Override Appeals: The FAFSA Simplification Act distinguishes between different categories of professional judgment by amending section 479A of the HEA and provides a clearer directive for FA Administrators to assist students with unusual circumstances to adjust dependency status on the FAFSA form to reflect students’ situations more accurately.

  • Special Circumstances refer to the financial situations (loss of a job, etc.) that justify an aid administrator adjusting data elements in the COA or in the EFC calculation.
  • Unusual Circumstances refer to the conditions that justify an aid administrator making an adjustment to a student’s dependency status based on a unique situation (e.g., human trafficking, refugee or asylee status, parental abandonment, incarceration), more commonly referred to as a dependency override.

Students who seek an appeal for their dependency status or a change to their estimated family contribution (EFC) must first contact the Financial Aid Office for advisement and to request the appeal. The appeal will be opened on the student’s FAFSA Verification Student Account where they can submit the appeal request and the supporting documentation. Students will have 60 days after they enroll for the appeal decision to be made.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeals:

If after a review of your academic history it has been determined that you are not meeting one or more of the standards established in the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy and have been placed on Financial Aid Suspension. You can appeal this decision by providing additional information surrounding the extenuating circumstances beyond your control that has led to not meeting the SAP standards. Extenuating Circumstances are not limited to, but could include: Personal illness or illness/death of an immediate family member/legal guardian, serious family emergency, substance abuse/legal problems/incarceration, abusive relationships/domestic violence, caregiver, or involuntary call to active military duty. Important Note of what is not an extenuating circumstance: A previous lack of focus, preparation, or concern for your education; normal childbirth; having to work and/or a change in work schedule; a lack of knowledge about college grading and class withdrawal procedures.

Eligibility to file an appeal requires the student to have a valid FAFSA on file with all verification requirements met and not owe a balance to the College. You must complete the Financial Awareness Counseling at:; and upload a copy of the confirmation page with the 3rd party documentation.

If you cannot provide 3rd party documentation that will support extenuating circumstances beyond your control, then your appeal will not be considered. You will have to attend a full-time semester at your own expense, maintain all enrolled hours and earn at least a 2.00 GPA in order to file an appeal for the next term of attendance. Third-party documentation is not limited to but could include: Letter from a physician indicating dates of care/hospital records/rehabilitation records, death certificate/obituary, police/prison records, or legal documents.

You will have 10 days to complete the appeal process. You must submit the appeal before the first day of class for it to be considered for that term of attendance. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for additional information or if you have questions.