Medical Laboratory Technology
The Medical Laboratory Technology program is a two-year program which is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS). The program is designed to instruct and prepare the graduate for entry level employment as a medical laboratory technician and/or advancement in the field of Medical Technology. Learning activities consist of a combination of theory, laboratory practice, and clinical experience.
The curriculum includes technical and academic courses taken on campus and 24 weeks of didactic instruction and skill development in an affiliated hospital. Upon successful completion of the technical program, the student will be awarded an Associate in Applied Science degree in Medical Laboratory Technology and will be eligible to take a National Certification Examination.
The program has a 100% passage rate on the national ASCP BOC (Board of Certification). It also has a 100% graduation and job placement rate. The attrition rate for students entering the final half of the program is 0%.
MLT Program Director: Paula Yarborough
MLT Program Instructor: Cindy Higgs
The mission of the Medical Laboratory Technology Program at Co-Lin is designed to instruct students in the theoretical and practical skills required for the entry-level practice of clinical laboratory science. The Medical Laboratory Technician is responsible for assuring reliable and accurate laboratory test results to meet the needs of the community and the medical profession.
- To develop professionals demonstrating entry level competencies to meet the needs of the community and the medical profession responsible for assuring reliable and accurate laboratory test results
- To develop professionals who attain academic foundation for passage of national certification and eligibility for advanced educational programs
- To develop professionals with an understanding of continue professional development and ethical behavior
- To prepare professionals who demonstrate effective communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- To maintain a nationally accredited program through the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science
The educational experience in the Co-Lin Medical Laboratory Program are designed to ensure that students are well prepared to enter the profession at entry level as a Medical Laboratory Technician and have the ability to continue their learning throughout their professional career.
At the completion of the MLT program, the student will be able to function as a medical laboratory technician who is competent in:
- Demonstrating entry level competencies to meet the needs of the community and the medical profession assuring reliable and accurate laboratory test results
- Attaining an academic foundation for passage of national certification and eligibility for advanced educational programs
- Developing professionalism with an understanding of continued professional development and ethical behavior
- Demonstrating effective communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Having graduated from a nationally accredited program through the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science
The Medical Laboratory Technology program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences, 5600 North River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, Illinois, 60018; 773-714-8880; email@example.com; http://www.naacls.org.
Special Admission Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age upon program entrance
- Recommended ACT of 18 or higher
- Completed MLT Application Packet. Applications are accepted spring and fall semesters
- Developmental courses must be successfully completed prior to program entrance
- Acceptance will be based on completed MLT application packet, ACT score, and an interview by the selection committee. Admission to the program is on a competitive basis
- If accepted, all applicants must participate in drug/alcohol testing and a criminal history background check
- Southwest MS Regional Medical Center; McComb, MS
- King's Daughters Medical Center; Brookhaven, MS
- Magee General Hospital; Magee, MS
- Natchez Pathology Lab; Natchez, MS
- Merit Health Natchez; Natchez, MS
- Copiah County Medical Center; Hazlehurst, MS
Associated Student Organizations
- Co-Lin Student Society for Medical Technology
- National Technical Honor Society
- Phi Theta Kappa