For rapid support please visit the helpdesk website at http://helpdesk.colin.edu to enter a trouble ticket.
The following members of the Technology Department are available for your assistance:
Technology offices for the Wesson Campus are located First Floor Fortenberry Building. The Natchez Campus office is located in Room 212.
Dorm Students should be aware that network resources are monitored. Excessive utilization especially in terms of outbound traffic generated will generate questions. Peer 2 Peer applications will be monitored and abuse WILL RESULT in room disconnection from the network. IT IS ILLEGAL to share copyrighted materials. We will take all necessary actions to protect our network resources.
All dorm rooms are equipped with a network port. However, we strongly consider each student to use the WiFi network which has been expanded to every dorm. Each room should now have adequate coverage.
If you plan to use the wired network connection you will need to supply your own Cat 5 cable.
Network ports are on until a problem is detected. It is possible that a port has been administratively shut down due to virus or some other questionable activity. If you plan to use a router from home to supply additional network ports for gaming devices you MUST disable DHCP and turn off WiFi on that device. Rogue Access Points (ie, Linksys router with wifi enabled) will be disabled if detected on the network.
Student Guide to Information Technology Resources
Overview of Services offered:
All students at Co-lin are charged a technology fee as part of the registration process. This fee is $7.50 per semester hour and not to exceed $75 per semester. The revenue generated via this fee has allowed the college to continue to upgrade technology and to expand the services offered to students. Did you know that as a Co-lin student you have access to the following?
1. Broadband Access for DORM STUDENTS. All dorm rooms have at least 1, Ethernet connection and every suite now has access to WiFi service. Make sure you computer has antivirus and updated service packs. Unprotected systems can be used to conduct zombie attacks against our network. These machines are disconnected from the network. Once a machine is disconnected you must submit proof that you have taken steps to have your machine updated and viruses removed. Service is up by default.
2. Network Account. Your network account will be required whenever you access a lab computer, webmail, web services, and your personal storage area (home directory). This is one account with one password. It will be vitally important that you do not share you account information. This account is the same as your ALLIANT account and is the StudentID number. For instance, given 000014354 as a student id, you would use the 14354 part to logon to lab computers. Your initial password would be the 6 digit date of birth in the format MMDDYY. We encourage you to change your password on the Alliant system. This password change will be synchronized with all other accounts.
4. Home Directory. As you take classes, you will want to save documents. From on campus computers you will have access to a home directory. On the Wesson Campus, this will show up as your w: drive on the Natchez campus, the home directory is the h: drive. Storage may be monitored and quotas set for all students.
5. SkyDrive. SkyDrive is a part of the Microsoft Office 365 suite. Please consult this guide on how to use SkyDrive to store your files so you can have access on or off campus.
6. No computer? No problem. Each Library is open with access to current systems. All systems are furnished with CD/DVD burners and front USB ports for easy usage with USB drives. You may purchase blank CDs and USB storage media at the Campus Bookstore. Labs and complete wireless access are also available on the Natchez campus and at the Simpson County Center for student usage. You may want to check with your instructors on guidance to usage of other labs.
7. WiFi. There are several hot spots around campus including the library, Mutton Bld, and Dow Young Bld, all of the Natchez Campus and all of the Simpson County Center. Every classroom on each campus should have WiFi available.