Student Helpdesk (OLD)
For rapid support, please visit the helpdesk website at http://helpdesk.colin.edu to enter a trouble ticket.
Questions or problems regarding this web site should be directed to email@example.com
Student Guide to Information Technology Resources
Overview of Services offered:
All students at Copiah-Lincoln Community College are charged a technology fee as part of the registration process. This fee is $7.50 per semester hour and not to exceed $75 per semester. The revenue generated via this fee has allowed the college to continue to upgrade technology and to expand the services offered to students. Did you know that as a Co-Lin student you have access to the following?
- Broadband Access for Dorm Students. All dorm rooms have access to WiFi. Ethernet ports are no longer available in the dorm rooms. Make sure your computer has antivirus and updated service packs. Unprotected systems can be used to conduct zombie attacks against our network. These machines are disconnected from the network. Once a machine is disconnected, you must submit proof that you have taken steps to have your machine updated and viruses removed. Service is up by default. All devices including laptops, desktops, and smartphones must be "on-boarded" onto the COLIN-SECURE network. Devices such as gaming consoles must be registered on the COLIN-PSK network.
- Network Account. Your network account will be required whenever you access a lab computer, webmail, web services, and your personal storage area (home directory). This is one account with one password. It will be vitally important that you do not share your account information. This account is the same as your Alliant account and is the Student ID number. For instance, given 000014354 as a student ID, you would use the 14354 part to log on to lab computers. Your initial password would be the six-digit date of birth in the format MMDDYY. We encourage you to change your password on the Alliant system. This password change will be synchronized with all other accounts.
- Email Account. While you are a student at Co-Lin, you will have an email account. A typical student email address may look as follows: firstname.lastname@example.org. We use FirstInitial, LastName, and last four digits of the Student ID. Once you leave Co-Lin, your email account will be terminated within one semester of your departure. We advise against using your Co-Lin email address as a link to your social media accounts, online banking or other merchant services.
- Home Directory. As you take classes, you will want to save documents. From on-campus computers, you will have access to a home directory. On the Wesson Campus, this will show up as your w: drive; on the Natchez Campus, the home directory is the h: drive. Storage may be monitored and quotas set for all students.
- OneDrive. OneDrive is a part of the Microsoft Office 365 suite. As a student you have access to 25Gb of cloud storage for files.
- No computer? No problem. Each library is open with access to current systems. All systems are furnished with CD/DVD burners and front USB ports for easy usage with USB drives. You may purchase blank CDs and USB storage media at the Campus Bookstore. Labs and complete wireless access are also available on the Natchez Campus and at the Simpson County Center for student usage. You may want to check with your instructors on guidance to usage of other labs.
- WiFi. WiFi is available in every building, classroom, and dorm and managed with Aruba ClearPass. The main network that all faculty, staff and students should use is COLIN-SECURE. You must have a valid username and password to use this network. Devices like Apple TVs, Smart TVs, game consoles, etc should connect to COLIN-PSK after they have been FIRST registered at https://wesclearpass.colin.edu/guest. COLIN-GUEST is reserved for nonaffiliated users who need temporary access to the network. If you try to register a laptop, desktop, or smartphone to the COLIN-PSK network, your device will be blacklisted and network access will bet cut off.